We are excited to share an open call for the Artist Apprenticeship Fellow at our partner organization, the Museo de Arte de Puerto Rico (MAPR). The Apprentice will participate in a paid Artist-in-Residence at the MAPR for one year with the possibility of a second year depending upon first year results. This is an incredible opportunity to learn and work at a world-class art institution, a Smithsonian associate.
Full press release: English | Spanish
The Museo de Arte de Puerto Rico (MAPR), in collaboration with the Darryl Chappell Foundation, calls visibly Black Afrodescendant artists, to become an Artist Apprenticeship Fellow for the Education Innovation Center at MAPR. With this initiative, both institutions seek to join in the effort to support Afro-descendant visual artists so that they achieve their highest potential making an impact on their communities through the Arts. The resident will receive support and mentoring from the Darryl Chappell Foundation to foster professional development.
Under the program, the artist selected should be permanently involved in the creation of works as well as in the development and delivery of courses and workshops for both high school students and university students living in vulnerable communities.
Applications will be evaluated by a jury made up of staff of the Darryl Chappell Foundation and MAPR. The deadline date to submit applications is May 7, 2022.
- Being an emerging or established visibly Black Afrodescendant artist
- Having participated in individual or collective exhibitions held in formal art spaces such as museums and galleries, or in emerging spaces
- Five-years experience in the respective field, with an impact on the development of the arts and the artist’s community throughout that period of time
- Previous interest in and commitment to Arts Education
- Time commitment and availability to fulfill the task at the Museo de Arte de Puerto Rico on a part-time basis over one year, with the option to extend the project to two years’ time
- Availability to attend an interview should it be necessary
To apply, artists will submit a single PDF document containing their portfolio, accompanied by the respective resume and artist declaration, together with a letter of intent stating the reasons why the artist wishes to be part of the program and the ways in which he/she can contribute to the education and development of young artists.
The PDF document containing the aforesaid information will be sent via email to email@example.com with copy to artistaresidentMAPR@darrylchappellfoundation.org on or prior to May 7, 2022 .
The email Subject will read: MAPR APPRENTICESHIP FELLOW PROGRAM.
On no account will applications be accepted after the aforementioned date.
Should you have any queries, please contact Raquel Torres-Arzola, Pedagogic Curator
firstname.lastname@example.org or call 787-977-6277, Ext. 2257
Larissa S. Vázquez Zapata
Manager of Communications, Museo de Arte de Puerto Rico (MAPR)